The ever-changing world has called for masks to become a part of our daily lives. With the widespread of COVID-19, masks became the world’s first line of defense to help protect against getting the virus and spreading it to others.
In the midst of the pandemic, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO) have urged people to wear face coverings over their mouths and noses while in the public. Government officials have stepped in, and many states have mandated face mask to be worn before you can enter a public establishment, including grocery stores, doctor offices, and banks.
To comply with statewide mandates many individuals have visited the question, “Which face coverings are the best, and what are the differences among them?” In this article, we will explore this question and help answer the pros and cons of each type of face mask.
What Is The Role Of A Mask?
A mask may not completely stop you from getting a specific illness but it is designed to help deter the spread of germs. Since COVID-19 is an airborne pathogen, masks must be worn to keep it from entering your airway.
When worn properly, a mask will shield your nose and mouth from any airborne pathogens. This will greatly help decrease the number of germs that are being spread and hopefully bring our nation back to some sort of normal.
What Are the Different Types of Face Masks?
The CDC and WHO have approved basic and surgical face masks to be worn by the general public as protection against COVID. These masks are designed to help prevent the spread of illness that you may have.
The different types of masks include:
- Cloth Face Covers
- Three-ply Face Mask
- Plastic Shield
- N95 Mask
Let’s look at each type of face mask a little closer so we can understand the pros and cons of each. This will help you make the best choice on which mask you would like to wear.
Basic Cloth Face Mask
These are standard everyday face masks. They are highly economical as you can make them right at home. Many people have stepped up during the pandemic and offered to make face masks to help deter the spread of COVID-19. While basic cloth masks are affordable, they may not be the best choice for filtering out the germs that it is catching from the outside world. Plus, this type of mask will require you to have good hygiene practice and wash the mask after every use.
- Affordable, as you can make them out of material that is in your home.
- May help in preventing the spread of some germs.
- Washable and reusable.
- Does not contain the filtration system that other masks do.
- No real protection against airborne particles.
- Can be susceptible to some droplets.
- Must be washed regularly
Three-ply Face Mask
A three-ply mask is designed with multiple layers to help filter out germs more efficiently. One of the best brands is the Brilliance Air mask, as their layers are designed utilizing the latest technology in the industry.
The outer layer will filter out dust, odors, and large particles. Plus, it is waterproof. The middle is a melt-blown layer and is critical to filter out small particles. The inner layer that is closest to your mouth is made of the same material as the outer layer. It is designed to provide more protection. As an added plus, there is an extra strip of non woven material that is put on after the ear loop. This helps prevent the ear loops from snapping off as you place the mask on.
Also, Brilliance Air masks are manufactured right here in the USA. This means you will not have to wait a long time to receive your mask. There are other brands on the market, but they are not all created equally. Remember this when shopping for a face mask to protect you and your family.
- Provides additional protection that other masks do not.
- Affordable as most come in multipacks and may also offer bulk discounts.
- Disposable, which means you can use it and not have to worry about cleaning it after each use.
- Cannot be used multiple times.
- Three-ply masks may not always be easy to find unless you go with a company that manufactures here in the USA like Brilliance Air.
A plastic shield is constructed out of flimsy plastic but resembles the mask that a welder would wear. It will cover the entire face from the forehead to the chin. These shields have a headband for you to place on your head. Most medical professionals agree that a full-length face shield is not ideal during the pandemic, as it can become difficult to breathe in over-time.
- Covers the entire face including eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Helps deter you from touching areas of your face when wearing your shield, which can decrease the spread of germs even more.
- Easy to find and typically not too pricey.
- Requires you to have good hygiene and wipe them down after every use.
- Many low-quality shields on the market will not provide adequate protection.
- Hard to wear for extended periods of time.
- Not as effective as masks that offer a filtration system.
While N95 Masks are designed to filter out all airborne pathogens, these types of masks are extremely hard to find and come with a hefty price. These types of masks are typically saved for medical facilities, as the pandemic has made it near impossible to find them. Plus, the ones you do find tend to cost several dollars a mask, which is not ideal when you can only use them one time.
- Dense Filter
- Will filter airborne pathogens and droplets.
- Medical grade certified.
- N95 Masks are difficult to breathe in.
- Healthcare providers need these masks the most, so they are hard to find.
- Would require training to wear these types of masks properly.
The market is saturated with face coverings, but in our research, it is best to go with a three-ply mask, such as the one offered by Brilliance Air. These masks are economically priced, offer extensive protection, and are shipped right here in the United States.
Do not be fooled by ads claiming to be the best face mask on the market. Make sure that you do your research and truly understand what the difference is between the various types of masks. This will help you make the best decision for you and your family.