For most of us, a face mask has become a part of our everyday lives. From going to work to stopping by the grocery store, you are required to put on a mask before entering a public facility. This is all due to the world-wide pandemic of COVID-19, but there are more things we need to do to protect ourselves from this virus.
Simply putting on a mask will not do, as many viruses are airborne and you have to ensure your mask is fitted correctly. Otherwise, you run the risk of infection from these airborne pathogens.
Believe it or not, most people do not properly know how to wear a mask. In this guide, we will discuss how to properly put on a three-ply face mask, and what things you want to avoid when putting on your mask.
How To Properly Put On A Three-Ply Face Mask
You may think that putting on a face mask sounds easy, and it is, but most of us do not take the time to do it correctly. Typically, face masks are worn in medical settings to help protect doctors and medical staff from contracting illnesses or to keep an environment sterile.
With that in mind, you would not simply throw on a mask and rush into a room to take care of a patient. You would take the time to do what is necessary to keep you and your patient safe. So, perhaps keep this scenario in mind, as it will help prevent the spread of germs and hopefully help our nation get back to a normal status.
Now that you are thinking medical, let’s review what you should do before putting on your three-ply face mask.
- Wash your hands thoroughly. It is best to use soap, but if you are out and about make sure that you have some hand sanitizer with you.
- Bend your mask in half lengthwise and make sure that the color side is facing out. This will help form the mask.
- Unfold the mask and hold it by the ear loops and place around each ear, making sure the nose wire is over your nose.
- While holding the nose wire with one hand, use your other hand to pull the bottom of the mask over your mouth and chin.
- Mold the mask to your face by putting your fingers on each side of the nose wire and gently slide them to the contour of your nose and face.
A lot of people forget about sterilizing their hands before even touching their masks, but it is a vital step that should not be ignored. In addition, you also want to make sure that the mask is secured to your face with the nose wire. It will create a seal and help keep germs out.
Also, ensure that the mask properly fits your face. It should be covering your nose and mouth completely. If it is not, then you may have to find a different mask to wear or evaluate the way you have put it on.
- Do not wear your mask around your neck or forehead. You are introducing it to germs when doing this, and it defeats the purpose of wearing a mask.
- Do not touch the front of the mask while wearing it. If you do, be sure to sanitize your hands.
- Be sure that the mask is always covering your nose and mouth. Do not put the mask below your nose, as you will not be protected.
- Do not ever share your mask with someone else.
- Never wear a mask that appears to be damaged.
- Don’t place a mask on children under age 2, anyone who has trouble breathing, or is unable to remove the mask without assistance.
How To Properly Remove A Three-Ply Face Mask
When you are using the Brilliance Air three-ply face mask, you should take note that they are a disposable mask. So, this means that they should be disposed of after every use. Taking your mask off properly is just as important as putting it on correctly. Follow these steps to ensure you keep yourself well protected from any germs the mask has encountered during your use.
- Always start by washing your hands thoroughly. Of course, soap and water are the best, but if you do not have them handy, make sure you keep hand sanitizer with you at all times.
- Do not touch the front of the mask, as this is the part that has been exposed to germs and bacteria.
- Grab a hold of both of the ear loops and gently lift and remove the mask.
- Discard as soon as the mask is off.
- End by washing your hands again or using some hand sanitizer.
- Never grab the front of the mask to take it off. You should always remove it by the ear loops.
- Do not re-wear a disposable mask, as they are meant for one-time use. You are causing more harm than good when you recycle disposable masks.
- Do not touch any part of your face when removing your mask, as you risk spreading harmful germs.
How To Properly Dispose Of Your Mask
While you may be inclined to just toss your mask in the waste bin as you walk by, it is best to use some precaution to help protect others. Here are some tips to help you properly dispose of your face mask.
- Once the mask is properly removed, it is best to place it in a plastic bag. You could use a grocery bag or zip lock bag for disposal.
- Be sure that you secure the bag tightly so that it is not easily undone.
- Put the plastic bag into a garbage can.
- Be sure to wash your hands right after disposing of your mask.
- Never reapply a mask without first washing your hands.
- Do not leave your dirty mask in areas where cleaning staff will be exposed to it. Be courteous and make sure you place it in the trash.
- Do not continue to use a face mask that is heavily soiled. Make sure you use proper precautions and change it out for a new one.
What Happens When A Used Mask Is Disposed Of Improperly?
When you do not properly dispose of a face mask you run the risk of infecting others with the germs that the mask is harvesting. So many people will leave their trash behind in a shopping cart, but in this day in age it is unacceptable. You should absolutely not, under any circumstances, leave your mask in an area that could cause harm to someone else.
Leaving your mask behind means that someone will have to pick it up and dispose of it. Therefore, they are getting the germs that the mask collected, as well as your germs. Throwing your mask on the ground could prove to be a dangerous game, as many children become curious and pick up the items they find lying around.
If you do not use proper precautions then the spread of COVID-19 will continue, and our nation will be under a mask mandate for longer periods of time. If we all work together and do our part, we can make sure everyone is safe and protected.
While it may seem like common sense, sometimes it is good to be reminded about how to properly do something. There are several things that you need to be aware of when applying and removing your mask. One of the biggest things is ensuring you practice good hygiene and proper disposal of your mask.
If you are looking for a three-ply mask, consider Brilliance Air. Our mask utilizes industry technology to ensure you are fully protected all day long. If you have any questions please let us know. We are more than happy to help you out.